Following are some of the frequently asked questions about SPLTOOL. When reporting problems, please send them via email stating the problem. Let me know what version of SPLTOOL you are using. See the main FAQ for instructions on finding the version you currently have installed.
- Does SPLTOOL work with Non-*SCS spooled files (ie AFP, IPDS, etc)?
- No, currently SPLTOOL does not work on non-*SCS spooled files. For conversion of AFPDS spooled files please see the AFPTOOL product.
- When converting spooled files to PDF, SPLTOOL works fine for spooled files 132 wide, but spooled files wider than this get truncated. Do you have a solution??
- Yes. SPLTOOL has a command named SPLTOOL PDF Configuration (SPLPDFCFG) that allows you to set up the attributes of the created PDF file. These attributes are based on the original spooled file's attributes. You can read more about this command and how it works in the online documentation
- I'm trying to create a PDF with an overlay but it's not working. What should I do?
- 1. Make sure that you have the latest version of SPLTOOL installed. The latest version can be found at the SPLTOOL home page. Instructions for finding the version can be found in the FAQ. Please note there are two methods for finding the version depending on how old or new your version is.
- 2. Use the command WRKLNK '/bvstools/jars/*' to make sure you have the proper Java objects installed. You should see the following:
Work with Object Links
Directory . . . . : /bvstools/jars
Type options, press Enter.
2=Edit 3=Copy 4=Remove 5=Display 7=Rename 8=Display attributes
11=Change current directory ...
Opt Object link Type Attribute Text
bcmail-jdk14-132.j > STMF
bcprov-jdk14-132.j > STMF
Parameters or command
F3=Exit F4=Prompt F5=Refresh F9=Retrieve F12=Cancel F17=Position to
F22=Display entire field F23=More options
- If you do not see any objects or get an error that the directory does not exist it's possible you skipped a step in the installation instructions.
- Issue the AS/400 commands:
- RMVLNK OBJLNK('/bvstools/jars/*')
- CRTDIR DIR('/bvstools')
- CRTDIR DIR('/bvstools/jars')
- RST DEV('/qsys.lib/spltool.lib/bvsjava.file') OBJ(('/bvstools/jars/*'))
- CHGAUT OBJ('/bvstools/jars/*') USER(*PUBLIC) DTAAUT(*R)
- 3. If you still have problems, check the /tmp directory in the IFS for a file named bvstoolslog.txt. If it exists, open it up. If it looks similar to the following example, then double check to see if you are journaling the IFS directory and file that the overlay is stored in. If you are, you will have to stop journaling for the overlay file if you want it to function properly.
- java.io.IOException: The specified device does not exist. at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map0(Native Method) at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:791) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.MappedRandomAccessFile.init(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.MappedRandomAccessFile.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.RandomAccessFileOrArray.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.RandomAccessFileOrArray.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PRTokeniser.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader.<init>(Unknown Source) at com.lowagie.text.pdf.PdfReader.<init>(Unknown Source) at watermark_pdf.main(watermark_pdf.java:31)